The late Harvey Sicherman was President of FPRI from 1993-2010.
Dr. Sicherman served as Special Assistant to Secretary of State Alexander M. Haig, Jr. (1981–82) and was a member of the Policy Planning Staff of Secretary of State James A. Baker, III (1991–1992).
He was also a consultant to Secretary of the Navy John F. Lehman, Jr. (1982–1987) and to Secretary of State George Shultz (1988).
A graduate of the University of Scranton (BS-History 1966), Dr. Sicherman earned his Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania (Political Science, 1971) where he received a Salvatori Fellowship. He served as Associate Director for Research at the Foreign Policy Research Institute, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (1978–1980).
He was author or editor of numerous books, chapters, and articles, including America the Vulnerable: Our Military Problems and How To Fix Them, co-edited with John Lehman (2002), Is There Still A West? The Future of the Atlantic Alliance, co-edited with William Anthony Hay (2007) and The War on Terror: Collected Essays, 2001–2006, co-edited with Stephen Gale and Michael Radu (2007). He was editor of Templeton Lectures on Religion and World Affairs, 1996–2007 (FPRI, 2008).
His books also include Palestinian Autonomy, Self-Government and Peace (Westview Press, 1993), and The Three Percent Solution and the Future of NATO (1982). Dr. Sicherman’s special areas of interest were Western Europe, the Middle East, and International Economics.
- Hussein Bin Talal: Soldier-King · Orbis · Summer 2011
- The Sacred and the Profane: Judaism and International Relations · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Saddam Hussein, Stalin on the Tigris · Orbis · July 2011
- The Foreign Policy of Abraham Lincoln · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Hafez Al-Assad: The Man Who Waited Too Long · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Bleak New World · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Robert Strausz-Hupé: His Life and Times · Orbis · Summer 2011
- The Revenge of Geopolitics · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Arafat, the Man Who Wanted Too Much · Orbis · Summer 2011
- New Policies and Old Realities in the Middle East · Orbis · Summer 2011
- American Diplomacy and the Arab-Israeli Conflict · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Cheap Hawks, Cheap Doves, and the Pursuit of Strategy · Orbis · Summer 2011
- King Fahd's Saudi Arabia · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Benjamin Franklin and the Traditions of American Diplomacy · Orbis · Summer 2011
- Patriot: Alexander M. Haig, Jr. · Orbis · Summer 2010
- U.S. Foreign Policy and the Modern Middle East · September 15, 2010
- U.S. Foreign Policy and the Modern Middle East · June 25, 2009
- Defense Showstoppers: National Security Challenges for the Obama Administration · February 12, 2009
- The US and the Arab-Israeli Conflict: An Overview - (Audio) · September 15, 2010
- American Policy and the Making of the Modern Middle East - (Video) · June 25, 2009
- The War on Terrorism: 21st-Century Perspectives October 31, 2012
- Is There Still a West?: The Future of the Atlantic Alliance March 8, 2007
- America the Vulnerable: Our Military Problems and How To Fix Them September 1, 2002