Dr. Neumann is a Senior Fellow of the Foreign Policy Research Institute’s Center for the Study of Terrorism, where she specializes in Latin America and terrorism. She is also an Associate of the University Seminar on Latin America at the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) at Columbia University, where she received her Ph.D. in political philosophy. Dr. Neumann runs her own political risk consulting and research firm, Vanessa Neumann, Inc., where she consults for government and private industry.
Dr. Neumann is a widely-sought analyst and commentator who has written for The (London) Sunday Times, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph and Standpoint, and has been interviewed for The New York Times, the BBC, Fox News, ABC, NTN24 and Caracol radio, broadcasting to 13 countries, and is a regular contributor to The Weekly Standard.
Previously, Dr. Neumann has worked as a journalist on three continents, been an Adjunct Assistant Professor of political philosophy at Hunter College of The City University of New York, and worked with the International Institute of Strategic Studies (IISS) in London and the Center for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (CAPPE) in Canberra, Australia. She has also worked in corporate planning and corporate finance in Caracas and, in diplomacy.
Dr. Neumann is fluent in English, Spanish, and French, and has a working knowledge of German, Italian, and Brazilian Portuguese. She currently resides in New York City.
- Grievance to Greed: The Global Convergence of the Crime-Terror Threat · Orbis · Spring 2013
- Of Chinese Snakeheads and Mexican Coyotes: The Globalization of Crime-Terror Pipelines · E-Notes ·
- Venezuela Heads Deeper into Militant Narcoterrorism · E-Notes · January 2012
- The New Nexus of Narcoterrorism: Hezbollah and Venezuela · E-Notes ·
- Kidnappings in Venezuela · E-Notes ·
- The Middle Eastern-Latin American Terrorist Connection · E-Notes ·
- The Problem of Human Trafficking - (Audio) ·
- Venezuela after Chavez - (Audio) ·
- Iran and Latin America: What’s the Connection? What’s the Plan? - (Audio) ·
- The Evolution of Revolution: Latin America and the Future of Chavismo - (Audio) ·