- The Global "Go-To Think Tanks”: The Leading Public Policy Research Organizations in the World, 2011 (91 pages, 819K )
- The Global "Go-To Think Tanks”: The Leading Public Policy Research Organizations in the World, 2010 (76 pages, 1963K )
- The Global "Go-To Think Tanks”: The Leading Public Policy Research Organizations in the World, 2009 (72 pages, 661K )
- The Global "Go-To Think Tanks”: The Leading Public Policy Research Organizations in the World, 2008 (85 pages, 1620K )
- The Global "Go-To Think Tanks”: The Leading Public Policy Research Organizations in the World, 2007 (24 pages, 265K )
- Think Tank Network Publications (14 pages, 79K )
- Development of Think Tanks and Their Role as Catalysts for Ideas and Actions in the U.S. Political System, Briefing by James McGann for the Foreign Press Center, U.S. Department of State, February 28, 2006.
- Raw Power Shift and the NGO Credibility Crisis James McGann and Mary Johnstone. published in the Brown Journal of World Affairs, Winter/Spring 2005.
- Think Tanks in Europe and the U.S., converging or diverging? (PDF), Morgan Lahrant and Stephen Boucher. Report based on the seminar organised in Paris, December 13, 2004, with Dr. James McGann and Stephen Boucher.
- Scholars, Dollars and Policy Advice(351K ) , James G. McGann, Ph.D. Published by the Foreign Policy Research Institute, August 2004.
- Responding to 9/11: Are Think Tanks Thinking Outside the Box? () , James G. McGann, Ph.D. Published by the Foreign Policy Research Institute, July 31, 2003.
- Ideas and Influence: Think Tanks, Politics and Public Policy, Edward Elgar Publishing, Inc.
- Think Tanks and the Transnationalization of Foreign Policy, James McGann, Ph.D. Foreign Policy Research Institute E-Notes, December 16, 2002
- Think Tanks and Civil Societies: Catalysts for Ideas and Action, co-edited by James G. McGann, Ph.D., Foreign Policy Research Institute and R. Kent Weaver, Ph.D. of The Brookings Institution; Transaction Publications 2000.
- An International Survey of Think Tanks, Foreign Policy Research Institute, August 1999. This in-depth study of public policy research organization provides a global, regional and national overview of think tanks. 817 think tanks from 98 countries participated in this international study that was funded by National Institute for Research Advancement in Japan.
- The Competition for Dollars, Scholars and Influence in the Public Policy Research Industry. A comparative study of independent public policy research organizations in America. University Press of America, November 1994.
- How Think Tanks Are Coping With the Future, November-December 2000. The Futurist.
- Thinking about the Future of Think Tanks, Foreign Policy Research Institute, August 1999. An article that outlines the major trends in think tanks and public policy research in United States.
- Catalysts for Ideas and Action, published in Foreign Policy magazine, Spring 1998. Examines the role of think tanks in policy making process in civil societies around the globe.
- Think Tanks and the Power of the Purse, October 18, 1997. Published by Foreign Policy Research Institute, August 1998. Discusses changes in funding for think tanks and the challenge it poses for domestic and international think tanks.
- Are Development Agencies Becoming an Endangered Species? published in InterAction Monday Developments newsletter, November 20, 1995. Discusses the challenges facing NGO’s working in the field of development. Also published in Middle East Economic Research Forum, May 1998
- Public Policy Research Organizations In The United States, Think Tank Landscapes: Germany And The United States, German Academic Exchange Service, (DAAD), 1993. Compares and contrast the think tank landscape in the United States with Germany.
- Academics to Ideologues: A Brief History of the Public Policy Research Industry. Published in Political Science and Politics, December 1992. Examines the history and evolution of think tanks in the United States and discusses the rise of issue oriented, partisan and ideological think tanks and their impact on policy making.