Students will view the map as a class or individually
Answer the following questions:
Describe the following countries and holy sites
1. What country has the largest population of Muslims?
2. What is the population of Muslims in the United States?
3. What is the Muslim population of Turkey? What percentage is Sunni?
4. What is the population of Muslims in Saudi Arabia? What percentage of the population is Muslim?
5. What is the population of Muslims in Iran? What percentage are Shia?
6. What is the Muslim Population of Iraq? What percentage is Sunni?
7. What is the Muslim population of Syria? What percentage is Sunni?
8. In what countries are holy sites of all Muslims?
9. In what country are the holy sites for Shia Muslims?
10. What it is important the Shia sites are in Syria?
11. Why is it important that Iran and Iraq have different percentages of Sunni and Shia Muslims?B. Read the Articles and have Students answer the related Quizzes
Sunni Islam : What Students Need to Know
Shiism: what students need to Know
Quizzes- See attached
Possible Discussion starters
1. Why do you think, there is so much hostility between Shia and Sunni Muslims?
2. Is there anything the United States should do to help settle the antagonism between Shia and Sunni Muslims?
3. Is there anything else you would like to know about the region and religious groups?
Evaluation- Based on Quiz Answers and Classroom discussions