– Teacher should discuss topic of satire by allowing students to analyze political cartoons as a group or by playing the Gangam Style satire of Kim Jong Un: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cG7ZVBXQII
– Teacher should distribute the Farcebook page for Kim Jong Il to students. Pick one item to do as a class and record suggestions for reference.
– Provide students with research opportunities in the form of internet access or a current biography of Kim Jong Un.
– After students complete their profiles, they should be displayed. Give each student a post-it note. Students must pick a favorite profile by voting with their post-it and providing a specific reason why their choice is worthy.
– Share the top choices with the class and discuss which answers best represent satire.
– Alternatively, students can view each other’s work without voting, and the teacher can select a few samples to review with the class.
– The level of difficulty can be increased by requiring a certain number of answers based on satire or by requiring students to work alone.
– The level of difficulty can be decreased by completing some of the sections as a class or allowing students to work in pairs.