Marc Sageman is a Senior Fellow in the Foreign Policy Research Institute’s Center for the Study of Terrorism and founder of Sageman Consulting, LLC. After a year at the U.S. Secret Service, he was the New York Police Department’s first “scholar in residence” for over a year. For three and a half years, he was the special advisor to the U.S. Army Deputy Chief of Staff (Intelligence) on the “insider threat,” including terrorists and spies. In the fall of 2012, he was ISAF Political Scientist looking at the Insider Threat in Afghanistan.
After graduating from Harvard, he obtained an M.D. and a Ph.D. in sociology from New York University. He was a flight surgeon in the U.S. Navy and a case officer at the Central Intelligence Agency for seven years. He spent three years supporting the Afghan Mujahedin resistance against the Soviet occupation. He returned to medicine and completed a residency in psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania. He is a forensic and clinical psychiatrist and taught course on law and psychiatry, Holocaust perpetrators and terrorism at the University of Pennsylvania and Columbia University at both graduate and undergraduate levels.
He is the author of Understanding Terror Networks, Leaderless Jihad, Misunderstanding Terrorism, and several studies on the process of radicalization. His new book, Turning to Political Violence, describes a new model of this process and testing it on various campaigns of political violence spanning two centuries and four continents.
He testified before both the 9/11 Commission in the U.S. and the Beslan Commission in Russia. He has extensively consulted with most national security agencies in the U.S. and the West as well as law enforcement agencies. He has lectured at dozens of universities in the U.S. and abroad.
In the news
- Senior Fellow Marc Sageman Cited by Ahram Online on Jihadists - Scholars in the News -
- Senior Fellow Marc Sageman Quoted in the Asia Times on the Role of Former Jihadists in Counter-Terrorism Efforts - Scholars in the News -
- Senior Fellow Marc Sageman Quoted in The Straits Times on Self-Radicalization - Scholars in the News -
- Senior Fellow Marc Sageman Quoted in The Intercept on Terrorism - Scholars in the News -
- Senior Fellow Marc Sageman Quoted in the Huffington Post on Terrorist Violence - Scholars in the News -
- Senior Fellow Marc Sageman’s Latest Book Reviewed on H-Net - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Marc Sageman and Lawrence Husick Quoted in Publico - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Marc Sageman Quoted in Foreign Policy on Radicalization of Orlando Mass Shooter - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Senior Fellow Marc Sageman Cited in Yahoo News on the El Bakraoui Brothers - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Marc Sageman Interviewed by David Ignatius in Washington Post Story on Radicalization - Scholars in the News -