Dr. Neumann is a Senior Fellow of the Foreign Policy Research Institute’s Center for the Study of Terrorism, where she specializes in Latin America and terrorism. She is also an Associate of the University Seminar on Latin America at the School of International and Public Affairs (SIPA) at Columbia University, where she received her Ph.D. in political philosophy. Dr. Neumann runs her own political risk consulting and research firm, Asymmetrica, where she consults for government and private industry.
Dr. Neumann is a widely-sought analyst and commentator who has written for The (London) Sunday Times, The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph and Standpoint, and has been interviewed for The New York Times, the BBC, Fox News, ABC, NTN24 and Caracol radio, broadcasting to 13 countries, and is a regular contributor to The Weekly Standard.
Previously, Dr. Neumann has worked as a journalist on three continents, been an Adjunct Assistant Professor of political philosophy at Hunter College of The City University of New York, and worked with the International Institute of Strategic Studies (IISS) in London and the Center for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics (CAPPE) in Canberra, Australia. She has also worked in corporate planning and corporate finance in Caracas and, in diplomacy.
Dr. Neumann is fluent in English, Spanish, and French, and has a working knowledge of German, Italian, and Brazilian Portuguese. She currently resides in New York City.
She has an upcoming book on the links between organized crime and terrorism.
- The FARC-Colombian Peace Deal: No Better Option - E-Notes -
- The Real Terrorist Threats to the Rio Olympics - E-Notes -
- The Significance of the Venezuelan National Assembly Elections - E-Notes -
- Grievance to Greed: The Global Convergence of the Crime-Terror Threat - Orbis -
- Of Chinese Snakeheads and Mexican Coyotes: The Globalization of Crime-Terror Pipelines - E-Notes -
- Venezuela Heads Deeper into Militant Narcoterrorism - E-Notes -
- The New Nexus of Narcoterrorism: Hezbollah and Venezuela - E-Notes -
- Kidnappings in Venezuela - E-Notes -
- The Middle Eastern-Latin American Terrorist Connection - E-Notes -
- Venezuela in Crisis -
- Where is Venezuela Headed? -
- Nobody’s Backyard, Somebody’s Playground: The Trials of South America from Buenos Aires to Caracas -
- The Problem of Human Trafficking -
- Venezuela after Chavez -
- Iran and Latin America: What’s the Connection? What’s the Plan? -
- The Evolution of Revolution: Latin America and the Future of Chavismo -
In the news
- Senior Fellow Vanessa Neumann Quoted by CNN on Texas Shooting - Scholars in the News -
- Senior Fellow Vanessa Neumann on Varney & Co. - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI Senior Fellow Dr. Vanessa Neumann Appeared on Al-Jazeera to discuss Events in Venezuela, Brazil & Paraguay - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Vanessa Neumann’s Article Cited in CFR - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Vanessa Neumann Quoted in the New York Post on Venezuela - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Vanessa Neumann Interviewed on Al Jazeera about the Crisis in Venezuela - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Vanessa Neumann Cited in Foreign Affairs on Venezuelan Elections - Scholars in the News -
- FPRI’s Vanessa Neumann Quoted in The Daily Signal on US-Cuba Relations - Scholars in the News -