– Select ten of the documents provided or find others using online resources.
– Teachers may choose to allow students a day to analyze the documents and a day to write an essay depending on the skills developed at the time of lesson.
– Teachers should set expectations for the essay depending on course goals such as how many documents may be required and how these should be cited.
– Teachers may want to allow students to select one of the following topics or only provide one.
– Compare and contrast North and South Korea.
– Analyze to what extent North and South Korea represent the evolution of communism and capitalism.
– What do the differences between North and South Korea demonstrate about the nature of development?
– The level of difficulty can be increased by requiring that the document analysis and essay be completed in the same class period or by requiring at least 6 documents be used as evidence in the essay.
– The level of difficulty can be decreased by allowing students a day before the essay to analyze the documents or by providing guidance to analyze them.
– The difficulty can also be decreased by requiring fewer documents or a shorter essay.