Posted on Colin Dueck E-NotesThe Trump presidency has produced a continual stream of sweeping, yet misinformed, analysis regarding the internal state of the Republican Party. Amongst journalistic, academic, and political commentators today, the condition of opinion within the GOP regarding foreign policy issues is regularly misunderstood. Here are several prevalent and mistaken ...Posted on Col. Robert E. Hamilton Russia Foreign Policy PapersThe war in Syria is reaching a decisive point. As the campaign against ISIL winds down, the battle for influence over the final settlement in Syria is heating up. This larger war—geopolitically more consequential than the campaign against ISIL—is characterized by shifting and sometimes surprising coalitions of states and ...Posted on Colin P. Clarke, Haroro J. Ingram After the Caliphate ProjectE-NotesAs ISIS lost a significant portion of its territory over the past year, the international community has heralded the collapse of the caliphate. It is now clear that the celebration was premature. Rather than signal a death knell, ISIS’ conventional collapse—while taking a devastating toll on its resources and ...Posted on Adam Garfinkle E-NotesSome decades ago already the phrase “CNN effect” was coined, referring to a concern that the emotional power of pictures might generate such popular sentiment as to overwhelm the calm and careful deliberations of governments during crisis decision points nested in humanitarian debacles. The concern actually predated the name, ...Posted on Dimitar Bechev Russia Foreign Policy PapersOn October 15, 2016, the day before Montenegro’s hotly contested legislative elections, Podgorica authorities thwarted an alleged coup attempt. Asserting that the conspirators aimed to prevent Montenegro’s imminent NATO accession, they blamed Moscow as the main instigator. Reflecting on the long-standing historical ties between Russia and Montenegro—and particularly their ...
Featured ItemsYesterday, Thomas P. Bossert, the President’s Homeland Security Advisor, abruptly resigned from his post. It came as a surprise to homeland security observers and to Bossert himself. Speaking at the Cipher Brief’s 2018 Threat Conference in Sea Island, Georgia, ...Corruption has been a constant factor in Russia’s political economy. From one era to another, the multifarious forms of corruption continue to pervade Russian politics despite sincere and insincere efforts to fight it. The election of Vladimir Putin as ...
- Compulsion in Religion: Saddam Hussein, Islam, and the Roots of Insurgencies (Video) - Geopolitics with Granieri- Ronald J. Granieri, Samuel Helfont - April 13, 2018
- China’s Emerging Role in the Asia-Pacific and Beyond (Audio) - FPRI Radio, Main Line Briefings- Toshi Yoshihara - April 03, 2018
- The Return of Marco Polo’s World (Audio) - Princeton Committee of FPRI- Robert D. Kaplan - March 23, 2018
- Life After the Caliphate (Audio) - After the Caliphate Project, FPRI Radio- Nada Bakos, Mia Bloom, Tally Helfont - March 15, 2018
- Strait and Narrower?: Beijing’s Flight Paths, Taiwan’s International Space, and Regional Security (Audio) - Briefings, Booktalks, and Conversations- Jacques deLisle, Scott Kastner, Wojtek Wolfe, Thomas J. Shattuck - February 27, 2018
- North Korea: What is to be Done? (Audio) - Princeton Committee of FPRI- Sue Mi Terry - February 22, 2018
- Broadcasting Change: Arabic Media as a Catalyst for Liberalism (Video) - Geopolitics with Granieri- Ronald J. Granieri, Joseph Braude - February 12, 2018
- The Declaration of Independence: An FPRI Primer (Video) - FPRI Primers (Videos)- Ronald J. Granieri - February 06, 2018
- The Vietnam War: Beyond Ken Burns and Lynn Novick’s Documentary (Audio) - Walter A. McDougall, Mackubin Thomas Owens, Michael M. Novakovic - February 06, 2018
- Do Think Tanks Matter? (Video) - Ronald J. Granieri, Lawrence Husick, Maia Otarashvili, Jacques deLisle, Dominic Tierney, Tally Helfont, Michael P. Noonan - February 02, 2018
- BookTalk: American Grand Strategy in the Age of Trump (Audio) - Briefings, Booktalks, and Conversations- Hal Brands, Michael P. Noonan - January 24, 2018
- BookTalk: The Sovereignty Wars: Reconciling America with the World (Audio) - Briefings, Booktalks, and Conversations- Stewart M. Patrick, John A. Nagl - January 19, 2018