Posted on Jeremy Black The American Review of Books, Blogs, and BullChristopher Columbus was a figure of controversy from the outset—the present fuss is as nothing compared with what he had to put up with during his lifetime. The travails of navigation, which included shipwreck off Portugal in 1476 and mutinous sailors on his voyage to the Bahamas in 1492, ...Posted on George W. Croner E-NotesThe following is George Croner’s response to Lawrence Husick’s critique of his four part series “The Clock Is Ticking: Why Congress Needs to Renew America’s Most Important Intelligence Collection Program.” You may read the entire series here. I’m not sure with whom Mr. Husick is speaking on the Hill but ...Posted on Lawrence Husick E-NotesThe following is a response to the four part series “The Clock Is Ticking: Why Congress Needs to Renew America’s Most Important Intelligence Collection Program” by George Croner. You may read the entire piece here. Introduction George W. Croner argues in a recent series of articles published by FPRI ...Posted on Artyom Lukin, Liudmila Zakharova E-NotesRussia’s relations with North Korea are often ignored in the West. The conventional view is that Russia’s role with respect to the North is purely political and diplomatic, predicated on Russia’s permanent membership in the UN Security Council. Often overlooked is the fact that Russia maintains a range of ...Posted on George W. Croner E-NotesAccepting that the Program, as a whole, meets the reasonableness standard required by the Fourth Amendment, the critical importance of the Section 702 Program to the nation’s security should warrant its reauthorization without any neutering by Congress. Critics, however, importune for changes that, aside from the overriding constitutional issue, ...
Featured ItemsHaving not yet cooled off from the 2016 presidential election, the Republic of Moldova now faces preparations for its upcoming parliamentary elections in 2018. Moldova’s main political entities, in both rhetoric and behavior, have been overwhelmingly absorbed by narrow, ...Since 2006, the Baltic states have hosted two major annual conferences on defense and security: the Annual Baltic Conference on Defense (ABCD) and its larger sibling, the Riga Conference. These flagship conferences present the cutting edge of Baltic thought ...Two words capture a broad swathe of U.S. and European political concerns over the past twelve months: elections and Russia. However, in a year when it seemed that every election threatened potentially dire consequences for American interests, the European ...
- Taiwan’s Participation in International Organizations (Audio/Video) - Asia Conference, Briefings, Booktalks, and Conversations- Jacques deLisle, Vincent Wei-Cheng Wang, Bonnie Glaser, Thomas J. Shattuck - October 09, 2017
- Europe’s Voters Have Spoken…But What Did They Say? (Audio) - FPRI Radio- Ronald J. Granieri, Jeremy Black, Hajnalka Vincze - September 28, 2017
- The “Deep State” of Intelligence? (Audio) - FPRI Radio- Nada Bakos, Michael P. Noonan - May 22, 2017
- Violence, Non-State Actors, and Turmoil in the Middle East (Audio) - FPRI Radio- Benedetta Berti, Tally Helfont - May 15, 2017
- China’s Global Engagement (Audio) - Briefings, Booktalks, and Conversations- Jacques deLisle, Avery Goldstein - May 11, 2017
- Venezuela in Crisis (Audio) - FPRI Radio- Ronald J. Granieri, Vanessa Neumann - May 01, 2017
- The First 100 Days: A New Presidency in Review (Audio) - Main Line Briefings- Ronald J. Granieri - April 27, 2017
- Russia and the West in Strategic Perspective (Video) - Partner Events- Gen. Philip Breedlove - April 23, 2017
- The Voice of the People, the Face of the Leader (Audio) - Geopolitics with Granieri- Ronald J. Granieri, Jacqueline Deal, Tally Helfont - April 21, 2017
- France Votes, the World Watches (Audio) - FPRI Radio- Hajnalka Vincze, Ronald J. Granieri - April 20, 2017
- A Guide to Geopolitics in the 21st Century (Audio) - Sponsors Forum- Jeremy Black - April 10, 2017